The Rainforest Alliance certification isn’t given lightly. Properties must work with the Rainforest Alliance to “improve their environmental, social, and economic practices,” and be audited against the organization’s high sustainable tourism standards. These standards judge the resorts in areas like clean technology, recycling, cultural preservation, gender equality, and much more. The Dreams properties that received the certification must have passed with flying colors, because in 2012 they were featured by the Rainforest Alliance for all the ways they contribute to the surrounding areas. A number of the resorts were featured for their exemplary progress and successes in giving back to local communities.
- Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa, in Southern Mexico, is located near the poverty-stricken area of San Jose Cuajinicuil. The staff there hosted a variety of training classes and subsequently hired a number of the trainees. They also organized an annual event called “Rolling For Life,” which promotes the use of helmets by bicyclists and motorcyclists in order to prevent traffic injuries.
- Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa has become a major part of the community through the resort’s involvement in a wide variety of fundraisers and festivals. The staff has supported the Grandparents’ Day Home of San Jose del Cabo through donations and volunteering, and also works with another area resort to help clean up the estuary of San Jose del Cabo.
- Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa, located in Riviera Maya, works closely with local suppliers to ensure the sustainability and biodegradability of all its products. They support their suppliers as well, whether by ensuring that the children of their local suppliers attend area schools or by donating toys, clothes, and supplies to those schools.
- Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa has organized and implemented a smart water system on and around their property, ensuring high water quality in an area with famously unsheltered water tables. They have also made structural improvements to an area school, provided scholarships to 80 students, and organized the Tulum Foundation, which provides full scholarships to students from low-income families.
- Dreams Villamagna Nuevo Vallarta is committed to preserving the ancestral culture of local communities. They share the history of the Cora and Huichol indigenous peoples with employees and guests, as well as promoting Huichol rituals and crafts. The resort also supports the area’s “New Life” children’s shelter, which provides education and improved quality of life for about 16 children.
Dreams Resorts welcome visitors of all types; families, couples, and singles alike can find their perfect getaway on the sands of any of its properties, whether soaking up the sun, enjoying the surf, or unwinding at the spa. And with their dedication to their Unlimited-Luxury® program, every amenity is included, from top-shelf drinks to endless activities so you’re not bored for a moment. And with their commitment to giving back, staying at a Dreams Resort is a choice you can feel good about.